SISTERS PLACE, INC. – DIRECTOR OF FINANCE
Sisters Place is seeking an experienced finance professional to act as the accountant and CFO for a small program providing housing and supportive services for 32 homeless families. Because this is a one person office, the duties include writing checks and recording deposits in the Sage 50 Premium Accounting System, processing the payrolls on ADP, invoicing HUD through the Allegheny County Department of Human Services, preparing budgets and reports, and advising the Executive Director. The agency has a very supportive Executive Director and staff. Demonstrated empathy and commitment to the homeless population served by the agency, and experience in accounting for a nonprofit organization is a plus.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position has been filled. The anticipated start date is in December with extensive opportunity for training with the outgoing CFO, who will also assist with the preparation for the audit which takes place in early February. Sisters Place is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Position Description – Director of Finance
Classification: Exempt – Full Time
Supervised By: Executive Director
Populations Served: HUD Permanent Housing Programs, Empowerment Housing
Program, Sisters Place Staff and Boards
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Organizes, maintains, and tracks agency financial records with the Sage accounting system to ensure agency compliance.
- Enters cash receipts and prepares journal entries in Sage. Reconciles cash receipts to the donor database monthly. Assists with fund raising events and prepares reports of the results.
- Prepares checks and allocates expenses to appropriate departments.
- Enters weekly employee time sheets into Excel and enters payroll information on ADP website. Checks ADP payroll after it is delivered.
- Prepares departmental allocations for payroll based on monthly HUD time sheets and enters them in Sage.
- Examines ADP tax returns for accuracy.
- Enrolls participants and monitors billings for health, vision, dental, life and disability insurance, and for the 403(b) retirement plan. Advises Executive Director on annual renewal of these plans.
- Reconciles bank accounts on a monthly basis. Monitors cash flow daily and invests available funds.
- Performs daily backup of accounting and other files that were changed.
- Computes, prepares, tracks, and reconciles HUD billings monthly. Enters invoices on the MPER system online by 8th of the month.
- Works cooperatively with the Finance Department from Allegheny County Department of Human Services to ensure fiscal accountability as it relates to HUD funding.
- Prepares and monitors the Sisters Place annual budget.
- Prepares appropriate budgets for all grant requests.
- Ensures compliance and eligibility of expenses for each grant. Tracks spending of all grant funds on a monthly and year-to-date basis.
- Compiles reports for each grant and for the agency annual report.
- Works cooperatively with any designated representative of funding sources to Sisters Place.
- Prepares reports and worksheets in Excel as needed.
- Reviews and monitors PHFA annual budget, including SHMS (Supportive Housing Management Services) reports.
- Invoices SHMS monthly for grounds maintenance and congregate services performed.
- Interfaces with the Executive Director, Treasurer of the Board of Directors and members of the Finance Committee and prepares reports at their direction, including financial reports for board meetings. Attends board and committee meetings as requested.
- Prepares all necessary information for auditors per their direction and assists auditors as requested.
- Maintains filing system for invoices and other paper documents.
- Assists the Executive Director with financial information necessary for managing and funding the operations of the agency.
- Performs other related duties assigned by the Executive Director that benefit the populations served.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Qualifications: A Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance, business or a related field and a minimum of four years professional experience in accounting; proficiency in using accounting software and a spreadsheet program such as Microsoft Excel; competency in using the Internet; excellent written and verbal communication skills; Acts 33/34 clearances; a valid PA driver’s license/insurance; and demonstrated empathy and commitment to the homeless population served by the agency. Experience in accounting for a non-profit organization is desired.
Physical Demands/Work Environment: This position requires the employee to stand, sit, walk, climb stairs, carry and lift. The work environment is an office setting. The noise level is moderate. This position requires the ability to use a computer, copier, fax, telephone, and calculator. Minimum travel may be required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable the individual with disabilities to perform essential functions of the position.
Please submit cover letter and resume to:
Melissa Ferraro, Executive Director
Sisters Place, Inc.
418 Mitchell Ave.
Clairton, PA 15025
Email: [email protected]